The tiny holes on chrome fixtures, invisible to naked eyes, allow oxygen underneath the surface of the otherwise resilient material. Oxidation takes place, causing rust formation on the surface. These are some tips to keep your bathroom chrome fixtures clean and rust free by inexpensive household cleaning agents.
Daily cleaning can avoid build up of soap scum and mineral deposits from hard water, which can rust chrome fixtures.
- You can use inexpensive glass cleaners or baking soda as cleaning agents. Just rub the fixtures with a soft cloth, moistened with glass cleaners or a paste of baking soda and water. Wash off to sparkle the chromes.
- You can use cooking spray to remove scum and rust stains too. Spray it on the affected area of the faucet and wipe it off with a soft cloth.
- Another solution for removing rust stains off bathroom fixtures is, make a paste of baking soda and water. Apply it on the rusted surface. Let it stay for 5-7 minutes and wipe away with a moist cloth.
- The acid in vinegar works well on removing rust stains. Fill a sandwich bag with vinegar. Secure the bag over the bathroom fixtures with rubber bands. Allow the bag to stay for 7-8 hours. Remove the bag and wipe away the fixture. If the fixture is movable and small, you can just keep it soaked in a bowl of vinegar.
- You can also mix lemon juice and salt in equal ratio, apply on the fixtures. Allow it to stay for few minutes and wipe off. This is good to remove light rust stains.
- Your favorite cola can work wonders in removing rust stains. Simply dip aluminum foil in cola, and wipe away the rust stains.
- You can use a metal cleaner, like Brasso to remove tougher rust stains. Simply rub the rusted surface with steel wool dipped in Brasso.
- You can use commercial rust removers containing trisodium phosphate or oxalic acid crystals. These work wonders on rust stains. Remember to use protective gloves before using any of these products and keep the bathroom well ventilated too.
Do not use sandpaper and any other hard scrubber on the fixtures as they might cause scratches and increase the risks of rusting.
If these DIY homemade recipes fail to combat with the rust stains, you can talk to professionals to get back the shine on your bathroom fixtures. All Buzz Cleaning provides all types of domestic cleaning services in Perth. We can help you in providing solutions for your cleaning troubles. So if you need professional advice for domestic cleaning do give us a call at All Buzz Cleaning, in Perth.